Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The call

Monday came and I didn't get a call from the Mayo. I called the Tx coordinator and she said that the surgeon hadn't come to the meeting to decide. The surgeon felt that he needed to discuss my case with another surgeon and I probably wouldn't be hearing from the Dr for 2 to three more days. Utter and complete frustration!!

Tuesday, no call. Wednesday, no call. These days seemed like years and the waiting was driving me insane! It reminded me of when Quintin was driving dangerous roads and wasn't calling me to let me know if he was ok and I didn't want to call him because I would seem too "eager" and "clingy". Waiting for this call was like waiting for Quintin to call except 100 times worse.

Thursday I finally called the Tx coordinator back to let her know that I had a new number at the mental institution, jk. She wasn't there so I left a message to tell the Dr's that they had tortured me enough and to just make a decision. She called me back and gently told me that the Mayo Clinic has turned me down for a transplant. I heard all of the reasons why it couldn't be done but I'm really glad that I had it on speaker phone and my sister was taking notes because after the initial "no" I didn't hear much. I hung up the phone and ran upstairs to my husband. I cried for about two minutes while he rubbed my back and then the conversation turned to auto insurance and I was fine again. I went downstairs and hugged my sister and my Dad, my mom came home crying but I was ok and felt somewhat at peace.

I had turned to the Savior in my time of need and with 5 rejections from Australia, IMC, PCMC (but only because of insurance) the U of U medical center and finally the Mayo Clinic, I had the answer I had been praying about. Not for, but about.

I received the rejection notifications in the mail along with all of the medical records that they did at the Mayo. It's hard to be rejected, I've had experience with rejection from potential jobs, roommates and boyfriends. But I've never had an official letter with words like "comorbidities" and a list of ways that would potentially be fatal if I had the surgery. I told my docs that I want to keep the original letter for the "scrapbook". I love when people look at me thinking "should I be laughing or is she serious?" that always makes my day.

Quintin and I were excited that we had a jumping off place and went the next day to rent a basement apartment. It is 2500 sq feet and they let us have our animals and it was really a dream come true. I knew that the Lord had a hand in this. Although it is in Lindon and I will have to gird up my loins, lose some pride and move to cougar town. I shiver just writing this.

Quintin is working on finding a job and hopefully it will fall in our lap like the rental did. I am happy. I have friends, family and animals who love me, I have a testimony of Jesus Christ and I'm living the best I know how. That sounds like a good life to me.

Love,

Holly

P.S. get ready to start the visits to Lindon, with Quintin working I will be bored.

1 comment:

MommaChelle said...

i dont know if anyone can be more positive than you!
its fun youll be in lindon, you can hang out with kaylie and I.