Thursday, April 29, 2010

Come, join me on my roller coaster

Today was a crazy roller coaster of emotions at my visit to PCMC. I had an ultrasound of my liver with great news that my portal vein is free and clear of any blood clots. This is good because if it was clogged than I would probably have a procedure to open it and after tx my liver might not get better.

Trish, who does my pacer checks came in and after checking everything said that my pacer was functioning normally. That was great news because it was acting abnormal during my heart catheterization a couple of weeks ago.

Dr. Everitt who is my transplant cardiologist came in to check me. The second she put her stethoscope on my chest I began to have a fast heart rate, it slowed back to normal and than went fast again. She ordered a ECG and when the nurse hooked that to me, my heart went back into regular rhythm. I told the Dr. that I think I just got nervous when she came into the room, and I had every right to be nervous. She started to tell me that after the financial advisor did some research into my insurance provider, she found out that PCMC, the hospital that I had been going to for 33 years and trusted with all of my, er, um, heart, would not be covered one penny by my new insurance. I didn't think too much of it because I had been assured by my insurance broker that everything would be covered.

In came the financial advisor telling me that it was true, anything to do with a transplant wouldn't be covered. I calmly told them that I would transfer to IMC although I was really sad about it. When we reached the car I lost it. All of my trust and confidance has been put into this team of doctors and now I would have to meet and begin the whole trusting process again. I trust people easily but it is a bit different when my whole life is in thier hands.

I came home and I was intent on finding some way of getting back into the PCMC transplant system, most importantly to find some way of getting a certain Dr. Kaza that I have heard so many wonderful things about, to do my surgery. I made a few calls back to the hospital, to a couple of people that knew more of the details of both the PCMC and IMC transplant teams and a not so friendly message to the insurance broker that didn't research into my faulty insurance before it was too late.

I made one frazzled call to my friend Paul that has had 7 months with his new heart. He told me that I should get Dr. Kaza to do the surgery, then reasured me that there is a great Dr. at IMC that may be who I need for my situation (although I should still try my best to get Dr Kaza). The team at PCMC will be speaking to Dr. Kaza on Monday to figure out the best plan for me. They really do have my best interest at heart (no pun intended) but more importantly the Lord will lead me in the direction that I need to go. I calmed down a lot and then decided to just chill and trust in the Lord, doubt not, fear not.

Thanks to all that put up with me, mostly my family and the hospital staff.
Thanks Paul for pulling for me today, It means a lot to have you in my corner.

Holly

6 comments:

Lake Family said...

Trust in the Lord. Love you

mikeisha said...

Holly,I have been praying for you every day since you broke the news of the medical change. When you wrote about the possible change to IMC I just had this feeling like trust the process! I am still praying for you. No matter what happens Holly, you have always been a great inspiration to me. Paul's story has been touching, but Holly, you too are amazing. You were sent here to show others (at least me) the strength the Lord provides in adversity. I love you a lot. I know there will be peace and comfort in the Lord's plan.

The Zenn family said...

We're on it with you, believe me...and I don't like roller coasters! We think about you and pray for you daily. All will work out.

Brooke said...

I am praying for you Holly- I still have those same feelings I had as a little girl praying by my bedside for you. Your faith is such a strength to me. Keep us updated.:)

Brooke said...

p.s little Holly is asking me why I am crying. So I am just about to tell her!:)

Babe in Boysland said...

i'm praying for you holzie!!!!!!!!